AlobevaniaAndrew R. Deans
- Alobevania gattiae Kawada & Deans 2008
- Alobevania longisaeta Kawada & Deans 2008
- Alobevania tavaresi Kawada & Deans 2008
This small genus (both in size and diversity) inhabits rainforest environments of Central and South America, though specimens are rarely encountered (Deans & Kawada, 2008). The three species of Alobevania rank among the tiniest ensign wasps (Evaniidae), with individuals seldom exceeding 2.0 mm in length. Their hosts are unknown, but we assume they oviposit into the oothecae of cockroaches (Dictyoptera), where the developing larvae consume the cockroach eggs (Deans, 2005). Collecting records range from Costa Rica to Peru and east to southeastern Brazil.
This genus is readily recognizable by the following characters:
- lack of deeply separated jugal lobes in the hind wings [Morphbank Annotation: no deeply separated jugal lobe]
- anteroposteriorly flattened head
- brown color
- full wing venation, with 6-7 cells enclosed by tubular veins
- small size (2-3 mm in length)
- neotropical distribution
© Andrew R. Deans; Morphbank Image: Wing.
Wings without separated jugal lobes. Morphbank Annotation: no deeply separated jugal lobe.
Deans, A. R. 2005. Annotated catalog of the world's ensign wasp species (Hymenoptera: Evaniidae). Contributions of the American Entomological Institute 34 (1): 1-164.
Deans, A. R. and R. Kawada. 2008. Alobevania, a new genus of neotropical ensign wasps (Hymenoptera: Evaniidae), with three new species: integrating taxonomy with the World Wide Web. Zootaxa 1787: 28-44.
- Morphbank image collection. Light micrographs detailing Alobevania morphology
- ZooBank record. LSID for the genus Alobevania.
- Evanioidea Online page. Genus description with Hymenoptera Ontology markup tool and links to annotations in Morphbank.
- Dichotomous key. A traditional bifurcating key to Alobevania species.
- Multi-entry key. Multi-entry key to Alobevania spp.
Andrew R. Deans
Department of Entomology, NC State University
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Andrew R. Deans at
Page copyright © 2008 Andrew R. Deans
Page: Tree of Life Alobevania Authored by . Andrew R. Deans. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 09 June 2008
- Content changed 09 June 2008
Citing this page:
Deans, Andrew R. 2008. Alobevania http://tolweb.org/Alobevania/120177/2008.06.09 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 09 June 2008 (under construction).